So as many of you know we are moving at the end of this month to my parents ward. My Dad is currently serving as Bishop in the ward. I decided last night I would go to Sacrament meeting to hear my Dad speak during his Ward Conference because it was soon to be my ward as well and plus he is my Dad! So as I was just about to get ready for the day my cell phone rings. My Mom was calling to invite me to church (I was going to surprise them that I was coming) and to get there early because Elder M. Russell Ballard was going to be there in Sacrament Meeting! I got ready in almost half the time it usually takes and came over to their building. I walked into the chapel and found just a few people getting ready to practice for ward choir. I saved "our row" (the 4th row in the middle) and waited for the rest of the family.
About 15 minutes before the meeting started our Stake President and my Dad come walking up the aisle toward the stand, inbetween them was a white haired man in a grey suit it was Elder Ballard! He does not look like what he does on T.V.! I always thought he was a stockey man on T.V. in person he is not. I know I would not have recognized him if I didn't know that he was coming today to Sacrament meeting.
Elder Ballard wasn't sent by the prophet to check things out in the ward, but for the blessing of his 27 great-grandbaby. As an apostle he sat on the stand and was presiding at the meeting. It was so neat to look up and see a member of The Quorum of the Twelve Apostle's on the stand!
The Conference went well. Dad did a great job speaking! He said one of his biggest fears was to speak infront of a General Authority, today he proved he could do it. At the end of the meeting Elder Ballard took a few minutes and spoke. (His voice however sounds the same!) He talked about a former Stake President and serving with him like back in the 50's. He also said he loved the concern that the Bishop had for the youth and such. It was really funny when he said... To the mothers with children on your laps, don't give up they will grow up eventually! He spoke about the children in the ward and the best place for them to be was in church even if they make a little disruption now and then. During the baby blessing the baby was crying almost the whole time! I think he was telling his granddaughter not to worry about it! I love his concern and love for the mothers in the church, he expressed this in General Conference too! His talk was my favorite by far during Conference.
At the end of the meeting my Dad introduced each member of our family to Elder Ballard. He had a very firm handshake and a sparkle in his eye! Today was such a neat day, I am so glad I had the opportunity to meet and hear from Elder Ballard today! I am so grateful for the gospel and the teachings of how to live my life. I love being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Sunday, April 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
Hey there...here in Gilroy the Hepners sit on the 4th row too! I think that says something!! (I guess it's one Hepner, 3 Sauls and 6 Hales!) What a treat to live so close to the General Authorities and have those opportunities. I've really been enjoying your blog since Emily showed me how to do it! Love, Anne
That is so cool that you saw Elder Ballard. What a good man! When we lived in St. George, Elder Holland's mom was in my ward. So he came for holidays like Mothers Day and came to church. It was awesome!
THAT IS SO AWESOME! GReat post! I remember seeing and meeting Neil A. Maxwell while living in a student ward, its so great to see an apostle up close! HOw rare is that! Great day for you and what a great opportunity that was! fun!!!
What an honor for you.
That was an amazing meeting. I was so shocked when I saw Elder Ballard there. I loved the spirit that was there. It is so good to see that life is treating you good. It will be fun to have you in the ward again. Have fun and we will see you soon.
Kindra
Post a Comment